[Image Source: Wikimedia Commons]

An Israeli official was attacked by a terrorist and was stabbed repeatedly with a screwdriver in his home, adjacent to the embassy, in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday night. After being wounded by the terrorist, the Israeli official responded by opening fire on the terrorist and severely injuring him (the terrorist later died of his wounds). The Jordanian owner of the home was wounded in the attack as well and later died of his wounds. It is unclear what condition the Israeli official is in following the stabbing, with some reports stating that he has been listed as light-to-moderate and stable, while others claim he was seriously wounded and that his condition has not stabilized.

Local police have released few details of the attack and currently there are still conflicting reports regarding the details of the attack. According to a report by the Hebrew daily Maariv, the attack took place while furniture was being moved into the home of the deputy security officer of the embassy.

Thousands of Jordanians took to the streets of Amman on Friday to protest Israel’s installation of metal detectors at the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Anti-Israeli demonstrators continued to protest over the weekend at the Israeli embassy. (The King of Jordan currently supplies all of the funding needed to operate the waqf, which is in effect the body of the civil administration responsible for the Al-Aqsa Mosque located on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.)

Three years ago, eight terrorists with ties to the Hezbollah terror group, were charged over an attempted attack on the Israeli Embassy in Amman.

Israel and Jordan have had increased security cooperation in recent years, particularly in the wake of an influx of Syrian refugees into Jordan and the expansion of Islamist sentiment in the country. The two countries have also begun to cooperate further on economic issues, with Israel last year confirming it would export gas to its neighbor.


An Arab terrorist repeatedly stabbed a 32-year old Israeli man in the central Israeli city of Petah Tikva on Monday. Authorities say the assailant has been neutralized and taken into custody. According to initial reports, the victim was stabbed in his neck and upper torso, and is now in moderate-to-serious condition. Magen David Adom (Israel’s emergency medical team) treated the stabbing victim at the scene, then evacuated him to Beilinson Hospital.

“The suspect was an illegal resident in Israel,” the police spokesperson continued. “The initial findings suggest that the motivation behind the attack was nationalistic.”